[hpsdr] Software Radio, Mixers and oscillators

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 08:22:17 PDT 2006

Hi Leon,

these Norton amplifiers were quite popular, but frequency limited. Do you
really need both, low noise, high S12 and high IP3. There are CATV transistors,
like the old BFT66 and successors who at 30 mA or so have the same IP3,
excellent 50 match and 1.5dB NF. Also some GaAs R-feedback ciruits with less S12
can provide stable concepts. As always, it depends greatly on the  application

I built one of your RF amplifier designs many years ago - it used two  2N5109
devices in a balanced Norton amp configuration. Can you recommend a  similar
device that is currently manufactured? I've been looking for one without
success for some time.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
_leon.heller at bulldoghome.com_ (mailto:leon.heller at bulldoghome.com)

Hi Alex, I dont know what these CASMIR and other names mean.  We have
designed novel super low noise oscillators, as you can see from the Synergy web
site. The architecture determines the required frequencies.

There are octave bandwidth oscillators, now up to 6 GHz. The loop and loop
bandwidth have a huge influence on the noise. The best way to deal with this is
 to send me a block diagram to figure out the best architecture

73 N1U

Ulrich,
I need a good LO design that will work with the Analog Devices  ADL5390 RF/IF
Vector Multiplier to support CASMIR operations from 50 MHz to 2500  MHz.
Basically 6m, 4m, 2m, 1.25m, 70cm, 33cm, 23cm, and 13cm ARS  bands.

Also need the LO to support a version of HORTON anf MERCURY for  50MHz and up.

Preferredly the LOs would be on a separate ATLAS board and  would distribute
the generated LOs to VHF+ versions of CASMIR, HORTON, and  MERCURY.

A 10MHz GPS-disciplined reference signal will be provided  either
single-ended via ATLAS of differential via a separate cable.

I've  had a couple thoughts on mixers for supporting the 9cm, 6cm, and 3cm
bands, but  would be very interested in your ideas.

Alex,  N3NP