[hpsdr] Gibraltar fanning out clock and 1pps to HORTON/CASMIR/MERCURY/..

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 06:48:50 PDT 2006

On 7/10/06, Achim Vollhardt <avollhar at physik.unizh.ch> wrote:

> Dear HPSDR group,
> I would like to remind people about the coherent system approach Bob and
> others mentioned some while ago:
>
> IF we manage to derive all signal path clocks from a single source
> (let's assume a 10 MHz GIBRALTAR for now), this system will be able to
> PRECISELY time any recorded signal to the sub-100 ns level! This opens
> endless possibilities.. Maybe we also should route the 1pps signal from
> GIBRALTAR to the backplane as an index marker to resolve any
> ambiguities.. Long Baseline Interferometry comes into my mind here!
>
> To all designers: please have a look, if your cards can support this.
>
> I think it would be a shame to miss such an opportunity, up to now HPSDR
> has all the things it needs for it.
>
> 73s Achim, DH2VA

Hi Achim,

Thanks for reiterating this point! We definitely will not miss this
opportunity.  This should be reiterated frequently so that everyone
keeps it in the back of their mind.  There is application for this
stuff beyond ham radio and I want to make sure we accommodate those
applications as well.

73 de Phil N8VB