[hpsdr] Horton with Trumpet??

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 16:26:52 PDT 2006

There would be two basic variations on the HPDSR.

An HF version covering 0-30MHz with a transmitter (CASMIR-HF) with a 1w output, 192kHz wide bandwith receiver (HORTON-HF) and an optional 30MHz wide panoramic receiver (MERCURY-HF).

A VHF+ version covering all ARS bands from 50MHz to 2.5GHz with a transmitter (CASMIR-VHF), 192kHZ wide bandwith receiver (HORTON-VHF) and an optional 30MHz wide panoramic receiver (MERCURY-VHF).

My personal interest is in the VHF+ versions of the units, but I will do my part on both versions of CASMIR. I have been tinkering with a design for a front-end for MERCURY-VHF and HORTON-VHF, but I'm waiting for:

(a) the LO design to be somewhat stable
(b) the initial designs for HORTON-HF and MERCURY-HF to be published.

Personally I think for HORTON-HF we should just reuse the AKM circuit from JANUS add a QSD and go with it. From Phil's testing it seems to have pretty good performance, and he's got the VHDL written. CASMIR-HF is just using the PWM passthru from JANUS and Phil has that VHDL done too. MERCURY-HF looks promising from Phil's work with the LTC2208.

For the VHF variants I'd use the LT5512 in front of the LTC2208 for MERCURY, and put an AD8343 (or better) mixer in front of the AKM for HORTON. The VHDL would need some minor tweaks to support switching the band filters. Add the appropriate filtering and shielding and run some alpha boards. If Ulrich, or anyone else, has some better mixers, I'll gladly subsitute them.

As for a Trumpet, I'd suggest a Bugle. It's more affordable, you don't have as much waste (no pesky valves to deal with) and they're made in Indiana, so N8VB can make a stop by and pick one up for alpha test. : )

Alex, N3NP