[hpsdr] Horton with Trumpet??

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Mon Jul 10 17:34:18 PDT 2006

> An HF version covering 0-30MHz with a transmitter (CASMIR-HF) with
> a 1w output...

I'd rather see 100 mW or some other power level suitable for driving a 5
to 10 watt output PA.  I realize the PA isn't likely to be integrated
onto the Tx exciter board.  1 watt in general is too low to be very
useful on the air, and much more than necessary drive for a 5 to 10 watt
PA, which in turn is about right for driving 100W nominal PA.

The exciter should be very clean -- low intermod, etc - so it may need
to be Class A.  This means about 25% DC-RF efficiency. I'd rather throw
away 300 mW in the driver than 3 W.

I suspect boosting 100 mW to 5W+ is not a big deal in a push-pull linear
PA.  It is about right to drive the output stage of the G6ALU 20W FET
PA.  Or maybe we just need the exciter to provide 1 to 10 mW after the
included, on-board bandpass filtering on the exciter module, and use
that to drive the G6ALU amplifier as already designed?  See
<http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radiokits/pic_a_star/20W_PA/index.htm>

My bottom line is I really want to have about 10 watts to a 50 ohm load
for a useful HF transmitter.

Maybe someone needs to take on the HF PA with bandpass filters, etc., as
a project?  I know there already exists the HF packer amp, and perhaps
others of similar ilk, but they tend to be a little messy to deal with.
Having the PA and bandpass filters, with T/R switch as an integrated
assembly on a single PC board that is easily assembled, and directly
controlled by I2C or SPI or ??? has appeal.  Maybe borrow a page from
the K2 Tx lineup?  Maybe with the G6ALU amplifier as the core?

 >..., 192kHz wide bandwith receiver (HORTON-HF) and an
 > optional 30MHz wide panoramic receiver (MERCURY-HF).

Or maybe just use Mercury as *the* receiver?  I know, Horton is supposed
to be a QSD-based receiver...

73,

Lyle KK7P