[hpsdr] CASMIR HF and HORTON HF Microdesigns v 4.1

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 12:45:15 PDT 2006

Alberto,

Your PWM question should be directed to Phil H. I am simply re-using the transmit section of JANUS for CASMIR.
That will reduce the amount of VHDL coding required (since both CASMIR & JANUS would use similar code).

JANUS is a higher-performance replacement for the Delta-44 or Firebox for use with the SDR-1000 or other radio.
JANUS+OZY+ATLAS were the first goal of this group

But, not everyone owns a SDR-1000. Which is the second goal of this group. Build the next better thing - HPSDR

CASMIR HF and HORTON HF are a transmitter and receiver pair used as a high-performance SDR (HPSDR).
You do not need JANUS nor a SDR-1000 (or similar radio) to use CASMIR HF and HORTON HF.

The HORTON HF design reuses the receive section of the JANUS design, not the actual board.
There are other designs ideas out there for HORTON, thus I called this design HORTON HF.

I'll quote N4HY
"Horton ought to be whoever gets to home plate the quickest and cheapest
where a home run is a certain performance level.  Who cares if it is a
QSD?  Horton needs to hear the Who.  We shouldn't care if it is with DSP
or ESP,  QSD or XYZ, just so the Who is heard!"
I'm personally just looking to hear the who sooner as opposed to later.

There will always be new designs for cards coming out as new technologies come out.
Paraphrasing our fearless leader Phil C., HPSDR is an experimentation platform.

Alex, N3NP