[hpsdr] Proto or not proto?

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Mon Jul 17 21:43:07 PDT 2006

To some extent you can use existing Euro card prototyping boards.  A little
work with a Dremel on a Velleman ECL board is (
http://www.designnotes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ECL&Category_Code=prb
) is how I did my Xylo shim for Janus.  Unfortunately none of the Velleman
boards are really setup for 96 bin connectors so you end up doing a fair
amount of trace cutting and blue wiring to get the connectors to work.

Interesting proto board I've seen of late is from http://www.busboard.net
is the SMTBoard 3U Thin  -- this one is nice in that it has a continuous
ground plane and a pattern that looks like it would be good for surface
mount prototyping.   I think Mouser carnies these board for about $10 or so.

One of these days I'll come around to design first, solder second  -- but
at the moment I like sitting down on the bench and building a circuit on
the fly and seeing how it does.

How many folks are interested in prototyping something to go on an Atlas
bus?  What are people thinking of prototyping?   Thru hole or surface mount?

Cheers.

Bill (kd5tfd)