[hpsdr] Type of kits forthcoming?...

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Fri Jul 21 07:05:13 PDT 2006

> Was a decision ever reached on how the kits (e.g. Janus & Ozy) will be
> offered in terms of:
>
> a) board and components (full kit) or
> b) board and chips mounted + remaining components (partial kit) or
> c) all components pre mounted (assembled board)

Still working on it, but we need some information from all of you who
purchased ATLAS boards.

a) easy to buy, but hard to kit.  Some of the parts have a lot of leads
which bend easily, so repackaging for kitting is labor intensive (costly).

b) By remaining components do you mean the through-hole parts, such as
connectors?  This is fairly easy to package, and minimizes the assembly
labor.  Unless a special test fixture is created (unlikely), it means
the partially assembled boards will not have been tested.

Or do you mean that the buyer also attaches the SMT resistors and
capacitors?  Resistor networks?

c) The most expensive option, due to the different manufacturing process
required for attaching the through-hole parts.  I can;t tel youoffhand
how much more this would add, but it is probably between $10 and 415 to
the purchase price.

This also makes it easiest to test, if a simple test regime were created
(possible, even practical, not sure how likely).

Given the three options above, which type would you prefer to see, and why?

73,

Lyle KK7P