[hpsdr] Type of kits forthcoming?...

Bob Tracy btracy at anvilcom.com
Fri Jul 21 07:29:30 PDT 2006

Lyle,

I purchased my Atlas parts directly from Mouser so I can't comment on any
kitting problems.  The Atlas is a fairly simple board from the SMT aspect.

My personal preference on something like Janus would be to (at a minimum)
have the multi-pin packages placed and reflowed by the supplier.  SMD
discretes might as well be placed and soldered since there is no real
difference in stencil costs with or without them, and only a small cost
penalty for any additional pick and place programming (depends on how the
shop manages its programming).

The big advantage, other than it saves me the frustration of soldering
things I can't see, is the safe (ESD and mechanical) handling where you go
directly from tape and reel or waffle pack to the PCB.  That leaves the
thruhole stuff for the user to add, which is a real cost driver in a
build-to-print shop but fairly simple (familiar) from the user point of
view.

The cost adders are the assembly house material handling, overhead, and
profit.

That would certainly help with your kitting concerns.  All the really
delicate stuff would be secured on the PCB and all you would have to do is
package the thruhole items.

Thanks for all you and the others have done for these projects,

Bob, K5KDN