[hpsdr] Type of kits forthcoming?...

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Fri Jul 21 09:00:17 PDT 2006

> > Was a decision ever reached on how the kits (e.g. Janus &
> Ozy) will be
> > offered in terms of:
> >
> > a) board and components (full kit) or
> > b) board and chips mounted + remaining components (partial kit) or
> > c) all components pre mounted (assembled board)

I'd suggest option b). While I can mount the high pin count fine-pitch
parts, they can be challenging and there is always the chance for
catastrophic error. The mounting of the remainder of the parts is pretty
straight forward.

That being said, option c) could also be an attractive option for those
who have problems working with SMD parts or who just don't have the time
or inclination to do the assembly themselves. Perhaps some enterprising
person could enter the kit completion business for those who want this
option.

Bottom line: a vote for option b)

73,	Ray	WB6TPU