[hpsdr] Type of kits forthcoming?...

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Fri Jul 21 16:54:10 PDT 2006

Len/All!

I think it is going to shake out (and I am going to argue with all my might)
that there be only 2 options with some caveats. In the end it will be for
TAPR to decide since they will be the supplier. At the moment the only
people who have REALLY been doing the grunt work on kits are John - W9DDD at
TAPR and myself. I only have done the Atlas first round and am about to do
the Pinocchio second round as a bulk shipment Kit only, (more very soon)
after which TAPR will assume the kit inventory. In the future, at least I
for one, will be assisting John at TAPR. There may be other TAPR kit
assemblers, however there may be other ways. The 2 of us will never be able
to keep up with option A with many other complex boards being offered. TAPR
is not 'infinite' in front line volunteer resources, however the major
benefit is that HPSDR remains a 'freeform group' based on the membership of
this Reflector. TAPR offers the financial stability and capability of doing
upfront purchasing and organization to get it manufactured, kitted, or
whatever they decide. That is NOT to say that 'we' are not listening, just
that TAPR makes the choice. The other choice (NEAT PART) is that HPSDR is
'open source' anyone can take the Gerbers and produce a board for their own
use! (More on that in the near future also).

The only options on complex boards that TAPR markets:

Option B. Board with ALL SMT mounted, rest of through hole parts supplied.

Option D. Bare board with hard to find parts.

Some caveats:

I will make sure that John and I (at minimum) will line up resources to go
from option B to C. Just as Elecraft has assemblers to wind toroids assemble
kits etc. This project will surely support a 'cottage industry of
assemblers', as we grow!

TAPR (and TAPR Board) will henceforth price the HPSDR offerings, without
informing HPSDR as to 'costs'. I as HPSDR supplying Atlas conformed to our
loosely formed opinion that EVERYTHING was 'open' and therefore I published
the Cost of Atlas board. Since TAPR is non-profit and sponsors research, the
markup is minimal, but there will be minimal markup, starting with Pinocchio
round 2. It really is a waste of time to discuss this on the reflector! If
you buy from TAPR you are getting 'rock bottom!' TAPR is just volunteers!

Open source and open HPSDR:

TAPR now hosts 2 private lists for backgrounding HPSDR.

The first was formed by TAPR to discuss the HPSDR/TAPR association including
project managers of HPSDR. That objective was accomplished. TAPR provides
the organization, we provide the ideas 'open source'.  This has turned into
discussing how we are going to produce projects. Mostly John - W9DDD and I
chat about the offering of stuff from TAPR and how we are going to do it
with some form of coordination!

The second is discussing the definition of an Open Hardware License, and the
implications for commercial interests, as well as HPSDR folks giving freely
of their talent. With protection for all and options for commercialization
of what HPSDR confidently produces for FREE. This is an important list which
should provide 'blanket coverage' and protection to as many interests as
possible! It Ain't easy wording!

However, these off-list lists are NOT closed to HPSDR folks. E-mail me
privately at ecellison at comcast.net should you wish to join, IF you can
contribute to these! Otherwise 'trust us'. This IS a wonderful synergistic
group and we ARE synergized by TAPR's organization!

Thanks
Eric