[hpsdr] Type of kits forthcoming?...

Ken Klein kenklein at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 17:39:44 PDT 2006

Steve;

Well said, your email.  Thanks for the insights.

First of all, I'm heading for the TAPR site right after I send this and join
up.  It looks like a great group, and since I'm in on the HPSDR, I'm
definitely in on TAPR.  And if I'm also a member, looks like I get to vote.
And help.

I'll of course be happy with however it is distributed, but you make a very
good point about learning new technologies.  I've never soldered down a
large surface-mount chip, but I'm certainly willing to learn how and take my
chances.  Heck, anything can be fixed.  And I still remember having to learn
new soldering techniques (remember those little heat sinks?) such as when I
got my first few Raytheon CK722 transistors. I still wonder how many I burnt
up long before ever applying power.  So I'm ready to take the next step.

As for testing, I think that that is what this is all about.  I'm not
interested in a new appliance, which is why I own a SDR.  I'm almost hoping
that the boards don't work first time, since I believe the learning
experience of troubleshooting the boards is well worth it, and actually most
of the fun.  I think we should all search out and cherish those challenges.

So keep up the good work, Steve, and know that there are a heck of a lot of
us out there who thank you and TAPR very, very, much.

Before I read your email, I would've plumbed for the SMT to already be
mounted.  After reading it, I'd be very happy to get a package of parts
untouched.

And thanks again for the reminder that it's a good thing to keep moving
forward!

As for helping, I'm not sure what I can do, but let me know what's needed.

73,

Ken WR5H