[hpsdr] To kit or not to kit...............

H. Gruchow horst at needles.de
Sat Jul 22 06:00:01 PDT 2006

Hello everybody,
why are so many people so shy when it comes to SMT soldering????

I am 55 years old and started my first time experience in SMT soldering by assembling some
of Tonys Softrock kits where you have the direct comparison of conventional and SMT
soldering.
I personally find it very easy to mount SMT and so fast as well. No bending of wires
anymore, no cutting after soldering etc. etc.
The only new tools I had to buy where two specialized pairs of tweezers for 7 EUR each and
a new pencil-size soldering tip for my old ERSA iron which I have since 20 years or more.

Just try.

I even have succeeded in soldering individual pins of a 0.5mm pitch test IC. For trial I
had bought an epoxy board with several smd footprints of various sizes for 9 EUR and have
unsoldered some ICs of old PC stuff I had lying around by using a hot air gun. I then
reused them for solder testing. Worked fantastic and so I have lost any respect on SMD
soldering.
Soldering together the D44-interface which I had bought from Eric took me exactly 7
minutes of which I had to wait for 1 minute to warm up my soldering iron.

I have to admit that 0603 parts require a quick hand but still manageable.

Why I am writing this all?

I always hear and read in ham magazines 'oh, smt, stay away from it. I can't do'. Yes, you
can. I repeat once again:

Just try.

73
Horst