[hpsdr] gEDA

Darrell Harmon dlharmon at dlharmon.com
Sun Jul 23 18:46:07 PDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 04:27:35PM +0530, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:

> On 7/23/06, Geoff <vk2tfg at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >     Is anyone on this list using gEDA? I have managed to get it running
> > on my linux box and I have tinkered with the schematic and PCB tools
> > within. It seems to be very capable. I would be interested in hearing
> > anybody??s impressions of the package?
>
> Geoff,
>
> I am using it for schematics, then converting netlist to spice readable
> netlists and also for PCB design (using the PCB program from jhu.edu)
> all running on GNU/Linux. It is very very capable and is more than enough
> for all my needs.
>
> A lot of symbols are available freely thru http://www.gedasymbols.org/
>
> --
>   Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD

I have used it for several boards including some fairly complex ones. I
highly recommend it. I have also used Orcad and Eagle, and prefer using
gEDA over either one. It takes learning a lot of keystrokes to use
effectively, but once you know them it is very fast to use. I use the
gschem version that comes with Debian, but I compile my own PCB from
a snapshot since they have made so many improvents since the last release.
See http://geda.seul.org for both programs.

I have been using gEDA and PCB to design a spectrum and network analyzer
with digital IF. I happen to be using the same ADC as the Mercury board
(LTC2208). I just finished up the DSP/FPGA board and it shipped from
the boardhouse Friday. Information including files is available at
http://dlharmon.com/dspcard/537.html It uses the Analog Devices Blackfin
537 DSP and the Xilinx XC3S1000 FPGA. Both are BGA. It is saved with
PCB 20060321 so you will need that version or later to look at the layout.
That version is also the one I would recommend at this time.

I have written a footprint creator for PCB using python. The text based
file formats made that possible. I can create most IC footprints in
around a minute. The thought of drawing a footprint for a 256 ball BGA
made me spend a week to write that one. It does QFPs, QFNs, BGAs, SOICs,
DIPs, SIPs, power transistors, ...

I am new to this list. I found it while searching for information on the
LTC2208. This appears to be a very interesting project that I may want
to participate in once I finish my spectrum and network analyzer.

--
Darrell Harmon - KI4MVK
http://dlharmon.com