[hpsdr] Proposal for a 'low-end' RX/TX board for HPSDR

KD5NWA kd5nwa at cox.net
Tue Jul 25 09:52:54 PDT 2006

Lower QSD noise is a good thing, and a worthy goal, but is not the 6M band so
quiet that it would benefit from a pre-amp anyway in order to receive very
weak signals?

Signals so weak that in the lower bands they are masked out by atmospheric
noise but not so in the 6M band.

Even with lower QSD noise the noise of the sound card has to be overcomed
also, although the figures comming out of the Janus are simply wonderful.

Fix the QSD problem if it's fixable but I would not count out a low noise
pre-amp. With a lower noise QSD you might not need very much gain but it
might be nice to be able to kick it in if needed.