[hpsdr] Proposal for a 'low-end' RX/TX board for HPSDR

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Tue Jul 25 15:26:41 PDT 2006

The six meter band is so quiet that the optimal QSD will not be quiet
enough in all cases and a preamp will be required.  It is good we know
we are starting with circuits that have the noisier as we go higher
problem.  This minimizes the amount of gain and the attendant decrease
in OIP3 that results.

Bob
N4HY

KD5NWA wrote:

> Lower QSD noise is a good thing, and a worthy goal, but is not the 6M band so
> quiet that it would benefit from a pre-amp anyway in order to receive very
> weak signals?
>
> Signals so weak that in the lower bands they are masked out by atmospheric
> noise but not so in the 6M band.
>
> Even with lower QSD noise the noise of the sound card has to be overcomed
> also, although the figures comming out of the Janus are simply wonderful.
>
> Fix the QSD problem if it's fixable but I would not count out a low noise
> pre-amp. With a lower noise QSD you might not need very much gain but it
> might be nice to be able to kick it in if needed.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be
made in a very narrow field."  Niels Bohr