[hpsdr] Norton Amplifiers and Noise Performance

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Wed Jul 26 11:46:48 PDT 2006

With OIP3's as high as you can get with Norton amplifiers,   *A* way to
do this would be to always have the amplifier in line and switch in well
designed attenuators as needed.   Then the IIP3 will go up as you
increase the attenuation.   On 160 meters you can't use a low noise
figure if you life depended on it but at 6 meters,  a good noise figure
would be nice.

An alternative viewpoint we could take is IF we can get -130 dBm MDS at
6 meters without a  preamplifier,  then we might just chuck it and tell
the user to take his 40 dBm IP3 front end and add gain as needed.
With that kind of front end they will have one of the highest performing
6 meter systems around.

Trade offs,  trade offs.....  always making life interesting.  Also,
ignoring the designer of Mutek front ends (Chris) is a thing one does at
their own peril.

Bob