[hpsdr] SMT Soldering and Circuit Board Heat Question

Bob Fish K6GGO rwfish at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 13:01:11 PDT 2006

Hi Bruce,
The hot plate is only to bring the board and the parts on it up to an
idle temperature of about 100deg C. (212 Deg F). No hotter than that.
The board and parts can stay at that temp all day without damage. The
temperature profile that the manufacteurs use in the big reflow ovens
goes like this; the temperature ramps up to 100 degrees C (your hot
plate temperature) and stays there for 3 or 4 minutes. This is to
achieve thermal stability and to let the solder paste outgas a little
bit, then it continues to ramp up to around 200 degrees C (this is where
the solder melts) but does not stay there, it imediately cools down to
room temperature.
To simulate this profile with the tools you have, all you have to do is
put the solder paste on the pads where the parts go and this is the big
secret to success: use way less paste than you think you will need. On
the fine pitch parts all you really want is a sweat joint, other wise
they will bulge over and short to the adjacent pin. After you place the
parts in the paste, place the board on the hot plate and bring it up to
100C (220F) let it soak there for 3 or 4 minutes, then with the board
still on the hot plate at 100C use the heat gun on the board with a
waving motion until the solder paste turns from dull gray to a shiny
silver in color. It may not happen to the whole board at once,
especially if it is a large board, but once it does your done. Turn off
the hot plate and heat gun and let the whole works cool down to room
temperature. The higher teperature is where damage could occur if left
there for too long. So, once the paste turns shiny silver take the heat
gun away. By the way, you can do two sided boards if you put small metal
stand offs on the board and let the previously soldered parts hang
upside down while you do the other side. They just reflow again.
I was a little worried when I first tried it also, But it works great
with a little practice you will be a Pro. Just make sure you keep the
hot plate at 100C and no hotter. The parts can stay at that temp all
day. Just use the heat gun to briefly heat the paste to melting temp.
Good Luck! Let me know how it went!

Bob   K6GGO