[hpsdr] mixers/QSD

Lawrence Stoskopf stoskopf at tri.net
Sat Jun 10 21:52:42 PDT 2006

> I've been doing some thinking about HORTON.
>
> It seems to me that the biggest problem with getting the QSD to run
> fast is finding switches/muxes that are fast enough.

I've commented on this before, but again my take:

If you go back and look at the early papers on mixers: intermod and other
problems occur two places: at the full switch on (not usually a problem as
diode mixers are so overdriven that signal current is overwhelmed by the
diode on current) and what happens at turn on and turn off.  In a diode, you
have the signal running up and down on the LO current during switching, this
is the most non-linear area and the signal is actually modulating the LO
switching.  Thus the effort for multiple diodes, series resistors, etc. to
allow for greater drive power with a steeper slope to switching before diode
limiting.  My gut feeling (as an anesthesiologist!) is that we kind of/sort
of skirt this with the FET/QSD type mixers in that the LO is not really
directly in the signal path so they work great in the low freq applications.
But I don't see any way to overdrive the switch with LO to steepen the
transitions and at high frequencies, the whole waveform starts to look like
a sine wave and worse......

Faster switches in switching time are the key.  I doubt switch on pass
frequencies are a problem in the applications these are designed for and bus
switching speeds are adequate also for the design applications.  As always,
we are using these in what is called in medicine, "off label applications".
For instance, we use Topamax, an antiseizure medicine in controlling certain
types of pain, and indication never intended by the manufactured and
patients often lose 20-30 pounds and come back for more, even though the
pain is still there.  Enough of that.

Somebody with a whole lot more background help me out on this.  I still have
a couple of 7360 homebuilt mixer receivers that work in still another way
with basically an electronic signal beam running Class A and being deflected
by electrodes back and forth between two plates with no switching
linearities involved (mostly).  But you can't get them in silicon and
Gilbert cells aren't the same.

N0UU