[hpsdr] Atlas Bus Question/Comment

Moe Wheatley ae4jy at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 12 17:44:35 PDT 2006

Hi All,
Its good to see solder smoke rising from the hams again.  Hopefully this
project and others like it will draw more interest into our hobby.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I couldn't find any description of
the Atlas bus signals other than power and some serial bus and JTAG
definitions.  For example, if one wished to design a board to plug into the
Atlas bus, what is the protocol for bus arbitration, board identity, bus
control signals, etc etc?

One concern I have for this architecture is the isolation of digital and RF
signals.  Trying to sandwich a sensitive RF receiver in between boards an
inch apart containing lots of clocks and digital signals is kinda scary.  It
can be done (Winradio has a PCI card radio) but requires a LOT of shielding
and routing tricks.

Maybe someday I can retire and have fun with the rest of you!

Good luck,
Moe, ae4jy