[hpsdr] Fwd: Horton Local Oscillator

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 05:49:11 PDT 2006

<Posted on behalf of Phil VK6APH>

I've had a closer look at Phil N8VB suggestion of dividing down a VHF
oscillator as a way of generating the I/Q switching signals for
Horton.  This looks like an excellent idea so I've documented it more
fully and added some discussion.

The paper is at

< http://216.92.71.47/HPSDR/TEMP_STUFF/Horton%20Local%20Oscillator.doc >

I may have missed something obvious so please go over my logic
carefully.  We need some Googlers to hunt down suitable VCOs, compare
phase noise etc.

It's been many years since I've designed a PLL and I'm sure there are
tools out there now that will simplify the design of the loop filter
and derive the performance.  If any one has this expertise it would be
interesting to see how this performs.

Thanks to Phil C for such a neat idea!

73's Phil...VK6APH