[hpsdr] More on Horton LO

Chuck Clark af8z at panaband.com
Sun Jun 18 17:33:16 PDT 2006

Synergy has a 900-2200 VCO with about -99 dBc 10k offset phase noise.
This gives you an octave plus tuning range.  They have also announced a
new series with better phase noise, -110-120 10 k phase noise, 250-1000 MHz.

Worries about noise on the tuning line may be a little over rated in a
PLL.  Inside the loop bandwidth spurious will be supressed by the loop
gain, to the level of the multiplied reference oscillator.  As a normal
rule there will be a large cap at the tuning port of the VCO to filter
higher frequency components on the tune line.  Normal RF practice would
attempt to isolate the PLL, reference or DDS from other noise in the
system using shields, line filters and deadicated regulators.  We should
probably plan for it from the begining.

Now a question, if the clock for a DDS has jitter(phase noise) how can
the output not have jitter?  I think if we use a DDS we will want the
highest possible 500 MHz multiplied crystal to get the cleanest signal.
I don't have data but I think the higher frequency clock results in
lower spurs.   Comments
Chuck
AF8Z