[hpsdr] Low noise op amps

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Mon Jun 5 13:44:56 PDT 2006

> If you guys decide that one of the lower cost op amps will do, does that
> mean that the LT1128s will _/not/_ work on an updated Janus board, e.g.,
> the layout changes? I’m wondering if ordering the fancy ones would be
> throw away if the design went with the less expensive ones.

No, the LT1128 and the less expensive parts are pin compatible.  The
essential difference is noise, with the LT parts rated at about 1.1nV
per root Hz, while the more expensive parts are in the 3 to 4 nV range.
  The former is in the range of thermal noise at room temperature of a
50 to 100 ohm resistor.  Since the input impedances (and probably drive
impedance from, say, a QSD) are much higher, it seems to me that the
ambient (thermal) noise will likely mask the advantage of the LT parts.
  AKM also show the use of the higher noise parts in their application
circuit for 600-ohm systems, so it seems likely in our typical
applications that the LT1128's noise performance simply isn't needed.

But I could easily be wrong, and besides that, I don't want to toss out
my LT1128s either :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P