[hpsdr] Low noise op amps

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 23:30:19 PDT 2006

Hi Lyle,

Very good analysis of the noise!  The superior choice would be LT1128A
and we may need it when using lower noise solutions for the QSD as
suggested and tested by Leif Asbrink and Phil Harman.

However, opamps like 5534A and OPA227 will match pretty well with the
present QSD used in the SDR-1000. Instead of the NE5534A my choice
would have been OPA4227 that has 4 x OPA227 in the same 14-lead
package. The noise specs are following:
Input noise voltage density, f = 10 Hz, 3.5 nV/sqrt Hz
                                             f = 100 Hz, 3 nV/sqrt Hz
                                             f = 1 kHz, 3 nV/sqrt Hz
Current noise density,          f = 1 kHz, 0.4 pA/sqrt Hz

My suggestion: keep the layout as is for the LT1128. If anybody wants
to use other solutions, a small "daughter board" may be inserted on
top of the present layout.

73, Ahti OH2RZ