[hpsdr] [CASMIR] Design v0.3

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 11:39:27 PDT 2006

My apologies for the tardiness of this note.  I have been dealing with
my poor mother in law who fell in NYC last weekend and cracked her jaw
and a couple of ribs contemporaneously with major developments at work.

Let me chime in with my 100% agreement with Phil.  -40 dB down and -50
dB  down for   opposite sideband and carrier  are nonstarters.  Here in
the northeast,  I can find 20-30 over S9 signals all the time.  I would
prefer by opposite sideband be weaker than S7-S8 and my carrier weaker
than S5-S6 and so would my neighbors!

Doing an NCO in the FPGA means eventually turning the digital signal
back into analog.  ALMOST ALL SPURS that cannot be avoided through
software cleverness in modern DDS from (say) Analog Devices,  come from
DAC nonlinearities and I doubt any filtering scheme you might design for
PWM back to analog will be anywhere near close enough to adequate for
this purpose so DAC's seem in order.

You can take a DDS and use it as a reference to a PLL circuit.  The PLL
circuit filters the spurs off at a cost of increased phase noise.  There
is no such thing as a free lunch.

Bob