[hpsdr] parts kit vs mounted SMT

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Fri Jun 9 08:21:47 PDT 2006

Another vote in favor of providing a fully assembled and tested option.

While I have the equipment and ability to mount the fine-pitch SMD
parts, what I seem to usually lack is time. With TAPR setting up to
provide parts kits that will help out immeasurably in acquiring a
complete set of parts as well as hopefully getting them at a slightly
better price than ordering in minimum quantities by ones self.

If a board can be provided at reasonable cost that is loaded and
soldered in a production environment (and tested for shorts/opens) I
think it is a winning scenario both from the time and reliability angle.

I'd suggest the following options:

a.)	Bare Board Only
b.)	Bare Board and a kit of parts
c.)	Fully Assembled

There may be some who want only the fine-pitch 'hard-to-mount' parts
mounted, however too many options can turn into a logistics nightmare.
Let's try to keep it as simple as possible while addressing the desires
of as many as possible.

73,	Ray	WB6TPU