[hpsdr] Potential of Analog Devices Blackfin Processor

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Fri Jun 9 10:15:51 PDT 2006

> I have a question regarding the AD Blackfin processor. It seems to me
> that the mix of a control processor with  what look like good DSP
> functions would make a great controller  for an SDR. Has anyone on this
> group looked at this processor?
>
> I am considering buying an eval board and the fact that there is a
> uClinux port and DSP tools is looking very interesting.

The primary drawback to the Blackfin is that the DSP section is, at its
heart, 16 bits.  This limits the dynamic range.  However, with careful
design, 16 bits is capable of extremely good performance.

Sasquatch will be based on a 32-bit floating point DSP from TI,
primarily because that is what appears to be the best solution for the
AMSAT Software Defined Transponder system and I want to leverage that
experience into the HPSDR project.

However, there is always room for more experimentation and development,
and if you want to create "Yeti" with a Blackfin, by all means press on
with it.  My only request is that you use a version that is not in a BGA
package.  I'm one of the guys who'd rather build than buy an assembled
board :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P