[hpsdr] Potential of Analog Devices Blackfin Processor

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Sat Jun 10 10:15:13 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:15:51AM -0700, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Sasquatch will be based on a 32-bit floating point DSP from TI,
> primarily because that is what appears to be the best solution for the
> AMSAT Software Defined Transponder system and I want to leverage that
> experience into the HPSDR project.

What's the tool situation for the TI part?
How are they?  What do they cost?

> However, there is always room for more experimentation and development,
> and if you want to create "Yeti" with a Blackfin, by all means press on
> with it.  My only request is that you use a version that is not in a BGA
> package.  I'm one of the guys who'd rather build than buy an assembled
> board :-)

FYI, digikey's still selling the BF537 stamp eval board for $226.
Also, Analog Devices is now selling an FPGA extender board with a
Spartan 3 XC3S1000 for $225.  I'm pretty sure they go together ;)
Now I'm wondering if the Stamp and the EZ-KIT have the same expansion
connectors...  Hmmm, this will all become clear in a few days.

Digikey: ADDS-BF537-STAMP-ND
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=30427&Row=290584&Site=US

ADI: http://www.analog.com/en/epHSProd/0,,BF-EXTENDERFPG,00.html

I should have one of each next week.