[hpsdr] Training wheels for MaxII?

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sat Jun 10 20:40:46 PDT 2006

> $6 is expensive. Altera EPM3032 and EPM3064 CPLDs are $1 and $2 in unit
> quantities and you can still get them in PLCC pakages that fit in sockets
> that mount on 0.1" grid perf. board.

The MAX II device we are using is roughly equivalent to a 192 Macrocell
CPLD.  It is really a small FPGA with 240 logic elements, is SRAM based
and has an on-chip Flash for self-booting at power up.  It also consumes
a small fraction of the power of the older MAX series parts (or
equivalent XC9500 parts from Xilinx).

But I'm with you on the Xilinx FPGAs.  And since the tools are free...

73,

Lyle KK7P