[hpsdr] Mercury

John B. Stephensen kd6ozh at comcast.net
Sun Jun 11 00:20:16 PDT 2006

The 52 4.5k RAM blocks are the equivalent of 13 18k RAM blocks so it might
barely work for the OFDM modem application if processing speed can be
maintained and the RAM usage can be shrunk by using smaller memories for a
256-point maximum size FFT. HSMM members would be disappointed as they want
to fill a 6 MHz channel with 6 kHz spaced subcarriers. This subcarrier
spacing allows a 41 microsecond guard interval to reject multipath.

Xilinx seems to consistantly implement a higher memory to logic ratio than
Altera. The EP2C20 does have twice the number of logic elements, but the
XC3S500E offers 23% more memory for less money ($26 vs. $42).

73,

John
KD6OZH