[hpsdr] CASMIR design v0.4 plus introducing COPERNICUS!

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Jun 11 15:16:03 PDT 2006

Hello Alex!

> Personally it seems like a waste to use an ATLAS slot for
> COPERNICUS, maybe an external card. There's lots of room
> in my ATX case to mount it!  : )  (hint, hint, hint)

Copernicus will need some sort of control logic to run it.  You could
reserve space at one edge for the ATLAS DIN connector and put another
connector in the same area. User than gets a choice of making it
Atlas-compatible or not.

It would also need space for the DS2431 1-wire ID chip.  If the control
is via SPI or I2C, then the lines are already predefined for the ATLAS
bus, making things pretty simple.

I suggest SPI, and use TI TPIC6C595, Allegro A6810 or similar ICs to
handle the control.  These can sink plenty of current for relay coils.

Alternately, I2C and use PC8574 (or similar) parts with some means to
strap the address.  Not sure if these can directly drive relays.

Almost as cheap, you could use a small PIC which can be set up as SPI
slave or I2C slave.  If you run the PIC from 6V, you may be able to
directly handle 5V coil relays.  Elecraft, for example,  has done this
for years in the various products.

Finally, please consider the use of latching relays.  They're not
expensive, the board then remembers its last state, and operating
current is nil.

73,

Lyle KK7P