[hpsdr] More Mercury

Phil Harman pvharman at arach.net.au
Mon Jun 12 07:25:21 PDT 2006

I've been able to interface the LT2208 demo board to the Xylo and hence to
PowerSDR. The screen shot at

http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx?id=328

show a +10dBm signal at 25MHz directly into the LT2208.  With the image
amplitude and phase controls at 0 and 0 respectively there is no visible
image.

The FPGA interface to the LT2208 is very crude at the moment. I've using a
fixed NCO at 25MHz followed by a CIC filter decimating by 2048 since this
gives ~48kHz from the 100MHz clock. You can see the sinx/x shape of the
noise floor, the CIC needs following with a compensating FIR to flatten
this.

The CIC is also very simple, this is the design file from MatLab

// Discrete-Time FIR Multirate Filter (real)
// -----------------------------------------
// Filter Structure        : Cascaded Integrator-Comb Decimator
// Decimation Factor       : 2048
// Differential Delay      : 1
// Number of Sections      : 3

I've chosen the input frequency on the screen shot to get rid of all of the
spurs - there are still lots of them but I guess a better CIC and FIR will
clean a lot of them up.  The bandscope vertical scale is wrong since I am
sending 16 bits from the LT2208 and PowerSDR is expecting 24. Still it
lools like we are getting the full 16 bits from the LT2208 since you can see
about 96dB of DR.  What is intersting is that with no signal input the
output from the LT2208 is 0, the LSB never moves, so the internal noise
looks very good.

We are going to need a decent pre-amp for the high bands but even so the
initial results look quite good.

Must sleep!!

73's Phil...VK6APH