[hpsdr] UK Supplies for AK5394

Len Nunn len.nunn at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 13 00:23:40 PDT 2006

Thaks for the info, Bill.

Bill Tracey wrote:

> I don't know that anyone has made a firm decision on how to go about
> getting stock on this part  -- the price you're getting quoted is
> pretty lousy compared to the 14-17 $US we've been hearing over her.

Agreed about the price, and I mentioned the $$ price to the guy at DIP
and he just pleaded being the poor relation.  For this project, given
the recent Digikey 100 unit price estimates quoted on the list recently
it would be equivalent to the cost of the rest of the Janus parts put
together! Not good in anything but an emergency.

> AllAmerican's outlook for fresh stock is anywhere from June 23 to 6
> weeks from now depending on who you ask.

Not necessarily dreadful timing so long as there's not much drift.  The
UK distributor complained a *lot* about AKH being poor communicators so
this may be a factor with getting firm delivery estimates.

> I'm hoping once the Atlas parting operation at TAPR is completed  and
> we get the Alpha's built and proved out we'll turn more seriously to
> the question of how to get the hard parts for ship builder types for
> Janus and Ozy.    I'd think that would also be accompanied by some
> thoughts on how to handle the sailing (eg assembled boards) contingent
> as well.   I suspect TAPR will be interested in kiting Janus and Ozy
> - however, they will need volunteers to help make that happen  --
> think they can help in getting large orders placed and finding where
> to get things ... but I don't think they have an army of elfs in the
> back room at TAPR waiting to take bulk parts and package into kits -
> that will have to come from the community here.

This is excellent news.  If there's anything practical that you think
that I can contrbute (apart from a TAPR subscription!) then please let
me know.

73s,
Len G6YZB