[hpsdr] LO generation for CASMIR

John B. Stephensen kd6ozh at comcast.net
Tue Jun 13 19:14:37 PDT 2006

The one disadvatage of using the output of a divider as an LO is that the
noise floor can be quite high. Avoid ECL dividers as the noise floor is -150
to -155 dBc/Hz. CMOS dividers are supposed to be quieter, but I've haven't
seen measurements for parts made since the 1980's. Older parts had a
broadband noise floor of -165 to -170 dBc/Hz.

I don't like using the output of a DDS to drive the first mixer. A PLL can
clean up a lot of spurs. See part 1 of the ATR-2000 article in QEX.

73,

John
KD6OZH