[hpsdr] SHARC samples

Leon Heller leon.heller at bulldoghome.com
Wed Jun 14 10:01:56 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "KD5NWA" <kd5nwa at cox.net>
To: <hpsdr at hpsdr.org>
Cc: "High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List"
<hpsdr at hpsdr.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] SHARC samples

> Looks like one heck of a nice part but I have one big question.
>
> ROM from the factory! How the heck to get it to run your software
> without ordering 10K units? Is there a flash version? It seems like
> it is a production part not a part for small projects.

It can use external flash, or a small MCU with external serial flash could
boot it via SPI.

I've downloaded an evaluation copy of VisualDSP++, I get 90 days use out of
it. I assembled one of the example programs for the 21262, and was able to
simulate its operation. I haven't been able to create a hex output file
though, for some reason. It is a very nice piece of software, I used an
earlier version where I used to work to develop code for the 16 bit
ADSP-2187 and the current version is far better. As it costs about $3,000 it
ought to be.

Digi-Key has stocks of the BGA version, they should have the LQFP one I've
got before long.

I prefer the ADI DSPs to the TI ones, the architecture is much cleaner and
the assembly language is far easier to use. I also know the UK Sales Manager
and several of the FAEs, which can be useful. TI tried to get us to use one
of their chips where I used to work but admitted that it wouldn't perform
any better than the ADI one we were using. They are now using the Blackfin
in a new system.

73, Leon