[hpsdr] Xilinx Code and Oleg Skydan work

Bob McGwier n4hy at idaccr.org
Wed Jun 14 12:14:28 PDT 2006

At the risk of finally proving to myself that I am only talking to
myself,  let me repeat with more emphasis and less math,  what I said in
my last about the Taylor Series DDS.  At its heart, it is a trivial
piece of nothing work done by trig identities .  My daughter learned
these in the seventh grade.   The hype stuff they have added is the
control fixtures to allow you to make changes and settings on the fly.
This will ONLY work with their boards.  The stuff is not useful to us.

We should do our own verilog design for this and stick it in opencores
and advertise it on the hpsdr web site with about as much hype as they
did.  We can add a second section of correction to the process and call
it  Parabolic Taylor Series Corrected DDS and put out 2^12 * 2^10 * 2^10
table lookup based corrections and do a 64 bit accumulator and show the
noise floor at -190 dBm.  It will mean as little as this hype does.

I have been a fan of Oleg for a long time (the first note that comes up
in google has my name in it).  His work is brilliant and done on a shoe
string.

For some reason,  I still had the URL to a pdf of his synthesizer.  That
is STILL ACTIVE.  Download it now before that too disappears.

http://skydan.in.ua/T03DSP/Download/SchSynth.pdf

There is no copyright or other notice on the schematic.  If we place it
someplace (hpsdr or hamsdr), I insist that we give Oleg full credit in
the blurb.  I would prefer modifying it with adobe pro or similar tool
to have Oleg's name and callsign on it.

Bob
N4HY

DDS stuff snipped.