[hpsdr] Fwd: Horton Local Oscillator

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 07:39:08 PDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Don AE5K <don at ae5k.us> wrote:

> > <Posted on behalf of Phil VK6APH>
>
> > The paper is at
> >
> > < http://216.92.71.47/HPSDR/TEMP_STUFF/Horton%20Local%20Oscillator.doc >
> >

> And the paper referenced above says in part:
>
> > Horton requires  I and Q square wave signals  to drive its QSD.
>
> The signals are required to cover the HF Amateur bands in discrete steps.
>
> For discussion purposes it is assumed that the steps will be 10kHz and
>
> that interpolation within these steps will be done in PowerSDR.
>
> Maybe this is a naive question, but are we limiting "Horton" to
> receiving only HF ham bands?
>
> I cannot find any reference on website or wiki that really specifies
> this, although the HPSDR introduction (on both) refers that the HPSDR
> project is of interest to both licensed ham radio operators and SWLs.
>
> If Horton is intended for ham band only reception, then we need to say
> so.  If it is intended to receive 0 through 30 MHz for instance, then we
> need to say so and plan the local oscillator accordingly.  If ham band
> only, is anyone thinking about another module for 0-30 MHz???
>
> Don AE5K

Horton will not be ham band only.  I do not intend Horton to have its
own LO on board.  The coverage will be determined by what/which LO is
driving Horton's QSD.

That means Horton can be driven by a DDS, PLL, Signal Generator,
Crystal or whatever. The "whatever" is external to Horton.

73 de Phil N8VB