[hpsdr] Horton LO

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 07:45:07 PDT 2006

On 6/17/06, John B. Stephensen <kd6ozh at comcast.net> wrote:
> The disadvantage of dividing down a 1-2 GHz VCO is that the ECL dividers
> have a -145 to -155 dBc/Hz broadband noise floor, depending on which
> dividers are used. 100-200 MHz will work with CMOS CPLDs, which should have
> a lower noise floor. Some CPLDs will work to 300-400 MHz.
>
> 73,
>
> John
> KD6OZH

I wonder if this is a problem with the AD clock distro chips (links
were posted yesterday)?  They will take up to a 1.6 GHz clock and
divide by a selectable 1 through 32.  That would get us down into the
range that a FPGA/CPLD could handle - providing we had a VCO running
in the 500-1000 MHz range or 600-1600 MHz range...

Or can we just come up with a low phase noise 100-200 MHz VCO?

73 de Phil N8VB