[hpsdr] Warning on Atlas! NO HIGH TEMP WORK!

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 15:11:57 PDT 2006

On 6/17/06, KD5NWA <kd5nwa at cox.net> wrote:

>  One question, why? A board with SMT components but can't take SMT soldering
> temperatures, that is bizarre. Or a decision made by a select few.

OK, calm down. We know you want to use your oven and it still is possible.

>  By the way the fiberglass can take it, it's the glue that likes to melt and
> let go of the layers.
>
>  I do hope that future boards full of SMT components are going to use epoxy
> rated for SMT work.

The boards were made so they would be RoHS compliant.  I believe the
oven soldering process for non-lead solder paste uses much higher
temperatures.  This requires much high temperature fiberglass and that
is not what was used on Atlas as I understand it.

If you are using leaded solder paste then you don't have this problem.
 The boards are FR4 (correct me if I am wrong Lyle) so you can process
these like any other FR4 boards when using non-RoHS methods.

73 de Phil N8VB