[hpsdr] Warning on Atlas! NO HIGH TEMP WORK!

KD5NWA kd5nwa at cox.net
Sat Jun 17 17:53:58 PDT 2006

Select few are those with full access to microscopes, hot air
stations, work facilities, and good eyesight that could put together
a board, and is of no consequence if a oven can't be used.

The email said specifically
"
WARNIING

DO NOT! Rework Atlas in an elevated temperature environment, like ovens!!

Nothing mentioned later as a possible reason...etc, just don't use an
oven. I on the other hand do not have access to any such facilities
and have very poor vision, the only possible way of doing the board
is through the use of an oven.

So if you saw red, so did I and I have another email that I have
re-written several times in answer but have not sent. With that
limitation that was given to me I felt it that  I just wasted my
money and time.

At 05:36 PM 6/17/2006, you wrote:

>On 6/17/06, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:
> > ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > There has been a big misunderstanding.
> >
> > The Atlas PCBs are standard FR4 fiberglass PCB boards, made with
> > standard FR4 materials and are suitable for normal PCB manufacturing
> > processes.
> >
> > Don't worry about it.
> >
> > The boards are gold plated rather than solder plated so they meet
> > European RoHS standards.  That makes it possible to legally import them
> > to Europe if they arrive after July 1st, 2006.
> >
> > RoHS compliant manufacturing methods use lead-free solder, which often
> > requires a higher temperature manufacturing process.  PC boards are
> > usually made of one of several special fiberglass laminates designed to
> > withstand prolonged exposure to the higher temperatures required to use
> > such solder in a normal manufacturing process.
> >
> > The Atlas boards are *not* made of such special, *high temperature*
> > fiberglass material, so they are not suitable for use in many RoHS
> > compliant manufacturing processes.
> >
> > They are just normal PC boards that happen to be gold plated rather than
> > solder-plated.
> >
> > Nothing more and certainly nothing less.
> >
> > > One question, why? A board with SMT components but can't take SMT
> > > soldering temperatures, that is bizarre.
> >
> > Of course it is bizarre.
> >
> > Which clearly indicates that there is a misunderstanding.
> >
> > Why automatically assume the worst?
> >
> > It is in no one's best interest to fabricate and distribute useless
> > boards.  Especially not Eric's, who has underwritten the entire cost of
> > producing the boards from his personal savings, for the benefit of the
> > HPSDR community.
> >
> > He simply warned that these were not *high temperature* boards; he did
> > *not* say they would not withstand *normal* manufacturing processes.
> >
> > > Or a decision made by a select few.
> >
> > I'm saddened that anyone posting to this list would even entertain this
> > type of thinking, much less express it publicly.  What possible benefit
> > accrues to the "select few" -- whoever that means -- to produce and
> > distribute inferior PC boards?
> >
> > > By the way the fiberglass can take it, it's the glue that likes to melt
> > > and let go of the layers.
> >
> > Yes, it is called delamination.
> >
> > > I do hope that future boards full of SMT components are going to use
> > > epoxy rated for SMT work.
> >
> > Any process that works with the FR4 fiberglass we have all used for the
> > past few decades in PC boards, will work with these boards.  The
> > fiberglass is exactly the same.
> >
> > The sky is not falling down.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Lyle KK7P
>
>Hi Lyle,
>
>Thanks for the clarification.   You were able to respond to this is a
>calm and cool manner to correct the misunderstanding.  I had to
> [...]

Cecil Bayona
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com

"Windows the worlds most successful software virus"