[hpsdr] Warning on Atlas! NO HIGH TEMP WORK!

Leon Heller leon.heller at bulldoghome.com
Sun Jun 18 06:23:05 PDT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Proctor
  To: High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List
  Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:54 AM
  Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Warning on Atlas! NO HIGH TEMP WORK!

   This months IET review (used to be called IEE review) has an article about this very subject.

  "...laminates - even those that pass the stringent FR4 test for quality - are generally unable to withstand the much higher temperatures for lead free solders..."

  However this is written by a rep from the PCB industry who may just (and I am being cynical here) be trying to justify higher spec/cost processes.

  In any event I shall be happy to manually add my own 60/40 to these boards and heartily thank all those (particularly the select few) who are organising this project and carrying it forwards.

I don't understand that. It isn't "much higher", it's only a few degrees. I just had a look at this Altera document:

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an353.pdf

which confirms it.

73, Leon