[hpsdr] Horton LO

Arthur J. Lekstutis Artie at Lekstutis.com
Sun Jun 18 08:06:13 PDT 2006

That's what I'm trying to say: I think you need to have some analog
circuitry after the fractional N divider, otherwise you will have spurs.
Be it a PLL, a D/A (see next paragraph), or some sort of magical low
pass filters, it's fundamental to the nature of the beast. If the LO is
going to be driven directly by the fractional N, there is no way
digitally to remove those spurs. The clocked output of a fractional N
can only switch on transitions of the reference, not at exactly the time
required to generate the desired frequency. Thus the output will have
jitter whose peak value will be plus or minus half the reference clock.

One option that I have considered, but not even tried to model, is to
use a low resolution D/A at the output of a home made DDS (FPGA). I'd
arrange the D/A to behave as if there were a high gain amplifier after a
conventional DDS, driving the output into saturation except during the
zero transition. Thus the D/A output would be a solid logical one or
zero output except during the transition, during which the output
voltage would be proportional to the remainder in the accumulator (a
clipped sine wave). In other words: the D/A would use the remainder
portion of the DDS accumulator only, and be saturated otherwise. The D/A
output would then be low pass filtered, then sent to a comparator. The
idea being to increase the speed of the zero transition, and to improve
its resolution, since in a digital system the transition timing is all
that's important. A QSD doesn't need a sine wave, but a good square
wave. Hopefully that would reduce some of the spurs and other noise.

That's just an idea, but I have decided not to pursue it and don't know
if it has any merit. I've realized that for what I'm trying to
accomplish, I'd be far better of just using a couple crystals.

Later,
Artie Lekstutis
KC2MFS