[hpsdr] Atlas, How do I hand solder this thing?

Hughes3hns at aol.com Hughes3hns at aol.com
Sun Jun 18 14:48:15 PDT 2006

It usually takes about a week of classroom time to learn all of the
proper ways to solder any component so you have been getting quite a bit
of info in the condensed version...

When I solder a SMT whether a single component or an IC, I tin one pad
first and then place the part down on that pad , holding it with the
bent tweezers, then reheat that pad until the solder flows around the
lead. Then I will lay the solder in the opposite joint and heat it until
it flows. Unless it is a ground pin you should only need to stay about 4
seconds. And unless you have a Metcal Talon or are extremely coordinated
trying to use two soldering irons to hold an 0805 component will just
result in a nervous breakdown.

  If you are soldering an IC then try not to go from one pin to the
next, jump a pin or two or you could heat the part beyond it's spec.

What temperature you use will also be determined by the wattage of your
iron...A 150 watt gun at 700F will fry all of the pads but if you have a
25 watt iron at 700F with a very small tip then you might not be able to
transfer enough heat to the joint to make the solder flow properly..
If you can then start at a lower temperature and work your way up to a
comfortable temperature. You may not damage the component but you can
quickly delaminate the board (say "LIFT A PAD" ) with too much heat.

You should always use the smallest possible solder, too much solder is
just as bad as too little. With too much you may just be dumping solder
onto a cold solder joint. If you have a good enough magnifier then you
should be able to see the solder "FLOW" on the pad and around the pin.
(If the pad and component are clean ( well fluxed) and you have heated
the joint long enough to raise both the component and the pad up to the
melting point of the solder)
If you practice on the outside pins of the DIN connectors then you
should be good enough to do the SMT. The inner row of pins is connected
to Ground but there is a thermal pad so it is not quite as bad as it
could have been.

Add this to everything else and you should be in fine shape.
And if not .....Well you can always opt for the Assembled board.......

I truly about had a coronary when I heard about the practice of putting
solder everywhere and then wicking off the excess....

Peter Hughes
N7BMG
TOO Many times certified Mil Spec 2000 , IPC-A- 610  :-)