[hpsdr] Atlas, How do I hand solder this thing?

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 13:57:58 PDT 2006

On 18/06/06, Steven Bible <n7hpr at tapr.org> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I set my irons for 700-750 degrees for regular leaded 63/37 solder.  For
> no-lead solders, you'll have to experiment (and read the data sheets) but
> I've seen 800-850 degrees.
>
> Don't worry too much about cooking SMT parts.  They can handle the temps.
> Just do it quickly, and don't linger too long.  So far I have not damaged a
> SMT part while hand soldering for the past 6 years.
>
> 73,
>
> - Steve, N7HPR
>  (n7hpr at tapr.org)

Steve,
You gave excellent soldering instructions, thanks! Those temperatures
work for me, too. Actually, I seldom need to go above my usual setting
400°C (752°F) for Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu. Please notice that the temperatures
given are much above what they specify for the components and FR-4.
This is the temperature of the tool tip for quick (few seconds) and
effective transfer of heat to the solder point. Long time heating of
the solder point to that temperature certainly will damage the PCB and
components.

Here are some conversions  from F to C for the rest of the world:
700°F  371°C
750°F  399°C
800°F  427°C
850°F  454°C