[hpsdr] Atlas, How do I hand solder this thing?

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Wed Jun 21 04:41:21 PDT 2006

I've never used  pre-warming on the hot air gun work I've done.  I
generally  don't try and do an entire board in one shot (unless it is small
like a soft rock)  - gun seems capable of heating a section at a time and
reflowing the solder effectively.   I only use the hot air technique on
surface mount parts - any through hole stuff gets done by hand after the
SMT parts are done.

I'd definitely practice on something it little less scarce than an Atlas
before trying a hot air gun on it.  Actually if you have any old obsolete
PC cards you can hot air gun some parts off it to get a feel for how much
heat it takes to flow the solder - and put them back to get a feel for the
technique.   For removal I  heat the components of interest until the
solder flows and knudge the part off with a toothpick.

Regards,

Bill  (kd5tfd)