[hpsdr] AGC

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Wed Jun 21 15:26:53 PDT 2006

Ramakrishnan:

As with all things,  it depends.

On the QSD based narrow band receivers,  analog AGC is definitely
contraindicated and would definitely not perform as well as the
implementation I did of the Phil Harman dual channel digital agc
proposal (with some testing and advice and code suggestions by Jeff
Anderson, K6JCA).   The dynamic range afforded us by the QSD and the
high end audio sound cards help us avoid the analog AGC.  This gives us
the ability to anticipate large signals by at least two time constants
in a simple proportional control system for the agc value on both the
slow and fast channel AGC.  The latter was my contributing to the
overall design.  You may read Phil's original proposal on the hamsdr web
site document section.

On the high speed A/D end,  we will definitely benefit from some kind of
gain control on the A/D to aid us in the effective  use of the available
dynamic range on Mercury (LTC2208).

Bob
N4HY