[hpsdr] Atlas, How do I hand solder this thing?

kd7nm kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Thu Jun 22 13:02:11 PDT 2006

Another thought in dealing with SMT with hot air -
especially for the fuses (whoops, I mean chips!) with lots
of legs/pins.  A way to move the part off the board that
greatly reduces the risk of bringing PC pats and traces
along with it is to slide a piece of music wire in
underneath/behind a row of pins.  By music wire, I'm
thinking of fine stainless steel wire, say 36-gauge.  Once
that's in place, start heating the component, while exerting
a small amount of upward pressure on the part - enough to
put some spring tension on the part, so that once the solder
liquifies, the part lifts up and/or flips over.  This is a
technique I used in a past commercial technician life, in
concert with a hot air pencil.  But if the hot air gun is
actually hot enough to desolder, this reduces risk to the
chip and board, since the part moves pretty much as soon as
possible, and signals the end of need to apply heat.

I'll be tackling mine when the parts from TAPR arrive, and
I'm surely looking forward to it!

73, Bob, KD7NM