[hpsdr] ATX connector on Atlas bus

Phil Harman pvharman at arach.net.au
Sun Mar 5 03:45:36 PST 2006

Second take on the ATX connector.

The boards that we attach to the Atlas bus are in many cases going to be
prototypes and development boards.  There is the inevitable chance that
there will be circuit and operator errors.  With a full blown ATX power
supply connected to the bus - that can provide may 10's of amps - such
errors can be 'interesting' to say the least.  ATX power supplies are
intended to power production designs that are not subject to tinkering. If
we use a small Molex header then connecting up regulated and current limited
power supplies during the testing and development phases is very simple.

Since I don't see a high power PA being on of the six boards we don't need
10's of amps anyway.  I'm not suggesting that we don't use ATX power
supplies for a final and proven design - just not during the development
phases.

I still support the case for a simple, small, Molex connector on the Atlas
bus.

Phil...VK6APH