[hpsdr] [ATLAS] - Watch the TOES!,

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Mon Mar 6 08:43:04 PST 2006

> Eric

>Hi Eric, group,

>I know that I took up the task of getting the Atlas bus spec'd out and
>I did not mean to step on any toes.  If someone wants to become
>responsible for the Atlas design I would be glad to turn over
>everything to that person.   I jumped in because I wanted to get the
>Atlas tied down so I can turn my attention to the Mercury board.  I am
>sure that Phil H and Bill would like to finally define the pin out of
>the Janus board also.

>I hope that the HPSDR project continues to be a community project with
>many people contributing.

>To all: if there is something you don't like about the Atlas design
>PLEASE speak up!  If you'd like to be the person heading up the Atlas
>- PLEASE feel free to jump in!  Otherwise I will continue to be
>responsible for the Atlas by default - then I will move on to the
>Mercury design.

>I *do* appreciate all the comments and suggestion so far.

>I am somewhat concerned that we have not heard from Bill (Janus) or
>Leon (Lionheart) yet.  Guys, any comments/suggestions on the Atlas
>design?

>Unless someone volunteers, I will write up a document describing the
>progress so far and what the names Atlas, Janus, Lionheart, and
>Mercury mean for newcomers to the group.

>73 de Phil N8VB

Phil, Eric et al. -

Several weeks ago I volunteered to provide signal integrity assistance
on the project (the offer still stands) and at Eric's request to take on
the ATLAS board design. It was obvious I was going to need to ask lots
and lots of questions to pin down the requirements from the guys who are
doing the applications boards. I must say I for one am pleased that Phil
took the initiative to come up with a first cut design for ATLAS. (I
think he has done a better job than I would have the first time around).
Being intimately familiar with the requirement for Mercury and some of
the other cards enabled him to include features that might not have
immediately occurred to me.

Phil, if you would like to me to pick up the design at this point so you
can concentrate on the Mercury board I'd be glad to do so. If not,
you're doing a great job with it. Let me know

-Ray   WB6TPU