[hpsdr] ATLAS Stackup and Power decoupling

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Tue Mar 7 16:34:49 PST 2006

The current plan of record for the ATLAS PCB stackup is:

Ground Plane ----------------    Layer 1

YBUS            -----------------   Layer 2

Power Planes ----------------    Layer 3

XBUS            -----------------    Layer 4

Looking over the layout and schematic I don't see that any provisions
have been made for discrete bypass capacitors. The only coupling between
the Power and Ground planes is by way of the inter-plane capacitance
(which is pretty low due to the rather thick stackup. (by the way I
don't see a thickness spec on the ATLAS documentation, but I would
assume we probably want to go with a standard .062 for mechanical
rigidity reasons)

Without some half decent bypassing (even though the data rates will be
relatively low and the power consumption low as well) depending on the
pwr/gnd coupling to establish a return path for the XBUS signals may
open the design up to some unwanted simultaneous switching noise
problems and other noise issues. The YBUS signal should be happy, but
the XBUS signals will be clean on one edge and degraded on the other.

I'd suggest at least  some token low frequency bypassing somewhere near
the power connector (electrolytic or tantalum) and then some smaller
ceramic decaps distributed along the board edges between the connectors
to deal with the higher frequencies.

Granted, the application boards will have local decoupling near the
active parts (FPGAs, A/Ds and processors) but once the i/o signals and
clocks get on the backplane making them depend on displacement current
to transit  layers to complete their return paths can be dangerous. The
return image currents for the XBUS signal will flow back on the Power
planes until  they reach the driver at which point, depending on whether
it is a rising or falling edge it may need to jump  over to the Ground
plane to close the current loop,

73  de Ray  WB6TPU