[hpsdr] Atlas Alpha Board first offering:

Eric Ellison ecellison at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 16:20:33 PST 2006

Folks

I took a discussion 'off-list' to the folks who posted board houses and
offerings, to solicit ideas on how to approach production of the Atlas
alpha. The first of the HPSDR boards.

I have offered to upfront the expense of the board and re-sell the board
only at Cost + Postage (average) + PayPal charge (average). Within 5 days of
receipt of the boards I will ship to all who have ordered, (via USPS).

There were 3 significant comments:

1.	This is an ALPHA board and there are no guarantees. On the off
chance that the board does not function as expected, it is still at the
purchasers risk. It is not a kit of parts, just the board. Parts to populate
the board are up to the purchaser. I see Chris has already done a great job
on the BOM! Thanks Chris

2.	Cost of the board cannot be determined and a production house has,
as yet not been chosen. Obviously it depends on the number of boards ordered
more than any other factor. When I have hard numbers of orders, I will post
the cost and allow folks to withdraw an order. The list will then be closed
and a production run made.

3.	One person felt that the board should not be produced until we had
at least one daughter card to plug in. My feeling here is that has enough
generic features, like ATX supply, computer mounted design, 64/96 pin slots,
that it would be useful as a buss for any project. Regardless of when our
other function cards come. It is also easier for the shipper (me) to handle
the first board as a 'lot', and worry about other project boards later.

4.	There really has not been a target date set for producing the board,
it will be produced quickly once we have numbers of orders we can work with.

Dale - WA8SRA has created an Atlas order form on his website. I see a large
number of you have already 'jumped the gun' (smile) If you are not a member
of the website you will have to join. I have used this 'order form' in the
past and it makes it very simple to create address labels, and track
payments. You can then go to Projects>Atlas and fill in the ordering
information.

With the above comments in mind , if you are interested in getting an Alpha
Atlas board:

http://www.hamsdr.com <http://www.hamsdr.com/>

Comments are welcome.